At the May Burnaby DPAC General meeting, the 2017-2018 Executive Committee elections will be taking place. The May General meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 15 at 7 PM at Burnaby Central Secondary School (6011 Deer Lake Parkway, Burnaby, BC V5G 0A9).
An official call for nominations was sent out to all Burnaby DPAC representatives via email on April 13, 2017.
Per Section VI of the Burnaby DPAC Constitution,
1. A maximum of two DPAC representatives will be elected from each zone of the school district yearly to serve on the Executive Committee. Representatives’ elected to the Executive Committee must have a child enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 12 in the Burnaby school system.
2. In addition to the two DPAC representatives from each zone, one member at large position can be appointed at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
3. Executive Committee shall select when required from its membership a chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary and treasurer.
4. No employee or elected official of any school district or the Ministry of Education shall be eligible to serve as an Executive Committee officer.
Section VII of the Constitution outlines the responsibilities of the Burnaby DPAC Executive Committee:
SECTION VII EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES
It is the responsibility of the Executive Committee:
1. To be the formal liaison between the School Board and DPAC representatives regarding parent involvement in school district operations.
2. To identify and appoint parent representatives to represent DPAC on school district and community committees.
3. To ensure that there is representation from Burnaby parents at appropriate educational workshops, meetings and conferences.
4. To take responsibility for the operations of the DPAC including chairing district meetings, recording the proceedings and managing the financial affairs of the DPAC.
5. To identify topics and plan meeting format and agenda for district parent meetings
6. To act as group leaders and recorders in group discussions at district meetings and to be the communication liaison between DPAC representatives in each of the district’s zones.
7. To inform DPAC representatives, on an ongoing basis, of the issues and topics being discussed at Executive meetings and at the various committees where DPAC has membership.
A full copy of the Burnaby DPAC Constitution is available at on the Burnaby DPAC website at: https://dpac.burnabyschools.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dpac.constitution.rev11.04.18.pdf
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the elections and/or the role of DPAC Executive Committee members, please don’t hesitate to a member of the current DPAC Executive.
You must log in to post a comment.